First time up to blab…er blog!

So here I am, Friday afternoon, first Friday of October in the Hudson Valley, sitting at my keyboard in my office while the world outside is slowly turning autumn colors, the nip is on the air and it’s no longer weather for shorts and sandals. Just came back in from our parking lot to verify that the temperature is 52º. Don’t want to start my blogging career giving out erroneous information!

Okay, so I got the facts above right… now where do I go from here? What do I say to all of you out there in the world at large… or at least the few who will even read this attempt to communicate? Hmm? What do you want to hear from the one of the founders and President/CEO of AmeriBag Inc.?

A fair warning here…I’m not your typical corporate type. Don’t wear pin striped suits, don’t do power lunches, no lavish parties to entertain customers or any of the more seemingly expected and accepted trappings of the world of business. Never have believed in such silliness! Not sure that any of that stuff helps to make a company a success or adds to the ability of it being able to respond to the challenges of doing business. My personae is not going to get people to appreciate our products because I am not the company. I am just the guy who is tasked with helping the real company, our employees, do what they need to do to make this whole arrangement function.

Being at the top, so to speak, really means that I am at the bottom of it all! Most students of business see the corporate flow chart like a pyramid, with the senior-most officer at the very top. I think they have it upside-down because in my world I see that pyramid standing on it’s head, or point, in this discussion. Companies are the sum of their “family of employees”, and my experience has taught me that too many managers miss or deny this simple fact. The workplace is no different than what works at home, it is about respect and working together to succeed and survive.

Since the day we started AmeriBag in June of 1987, it has been a team effort. My position as owner never got in the way of me sitting down at a sewing machine to do the same work as everyone else. No reason why I shouldn’t labor and sweat like everyone else when the call comes. My philosophy is simple, every job is directly and equally connected to our final product in every way. Titles and prestige do not really matter, respect and appreciation of each other is what makes it all click!

Well, not probably the best opening salvo into the world of Blog, but better that you all get to know a little about me and my way of thinking to help understand what is about to come at you in the future from this mind and soul. To Blog, I am being told, is to communicate in a broad-spectrum approach to a diverse audience. In short… I get to chat with you! I like to chat, and I love to get responses. The ability to communicate and share ideas is the blessing of humanity, and I for one hate to waste a good thing… because maybe if we shared more, we’d understand more!

7 Responses to “First time up to blab…er blog!”

1. ms r says:

Andy’s Luggage Wantagh NY does not list your product on its website; you show it as a retailer to buy your Ameribag. Thought you’d like to know.

2. Garth Klaman says:

I’ve grown up around sewing machines my whole life, so I know a little about them.

3. Barbara Peterson says:

Hi, Mr. Gaffin! I’m sure you don’t remember me, but I have been to your company several times, although that was almost 20 years ago. I worked for a small Communications company in Kingston and you always made the bags we used at “Corporate Pep Rallies” and such.

I believe I must have been one of the first people to purchase your wonderful “Ameribag”, that too, was a long time ago. I must finally replace my original black leather one. I didn’t mind the browning that age brings to black leather, but when my new puppy decided how much he liked it too, it was just a little too much…so here I am at YOUR website, which was not even a thought when I met you all those years ago.

Congratulations on a great product, great marketing (I get almost every catalog in the world and you are in so many of them; for some reason it makes ME proud!) and great success. I am from Catskill originally, and wish your Catskill bag was more like the Ameribag! But it’s cool just to see Catskill on a website!

Congratulations again. You are a great example of “The American Dream” which unlike some think, you work hard, give up all your money on an idea, have a faithful believing partner (your wife) and don’t ever give up!

I betthe thought of just sitting on your butt with your hand out waiting for someone to give you anything never even entered your mind. YOU JUST DID IT! Great job

4. ERNELYN CARPENTER says:

Hi there, I and all the females in my family, and in My Sorority LOVE your Well Back Bag, even My “Build a Bear” has Her own WBB!. many of us {Humans} have several different colors and textures of WBB !. My traveling daughter carries the large one on trips, and my grand Daughters have smaller, sizes. My Daughter gave me a new, Navy Blue, Nylon, WBB and then found one for My Bear to match {almost} too cute. Well, I have a broken hip and used a walker for a year now!. I’ve had to use a “tot” over the handle instead of “My Choice”,WBB!. In getting out the newest Navy bag, now over a year old, but not used very much, I discovered the Zipper is faulty!! :-( I don’ feel this is in any way YOUR fault, I’m not at all complaining!!. I’m Crying!! :-( I NEED MY purse!! I’m hoping somehow to Ask You folks to replace My Zipper in my Bag, { @ my expense, of course! :-) Somehow it was put away folded wrong or something., but I wouldn’t know where to purchase the RIGHT ,Kind, and Size zipper, nor be able to install it the right way! I don’t wish to carry around a SLOPPY job to advertise for your product. Please tell me where to send my favorite purse, to be repaired, and how much?$. I can either send a check w/it to include return shipping,and repair costs, or put it on my bank card!!. PPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEE! I remain Your Biggest FAN. Awaiting instructions!!! THANKS ERNELYN GAIL CARPENTER!! <

5. Joycie says:

Hi, I just wanted everyone to know that Marge is the most amazing women i have had the pleasure to call my friend. Marge is an insperation not only to those that have had cancer, or are still battling cancer.She is strong and loving and as a reward she has blessed us with the “Amazing “Ameribag” suite of healthy bags.Keep us the amazing work.
    Next step ” Glitz”. LOL Marge will understand this.
    J

6. Brett says:

Wow!
    Irwin, I just met you an hour or so ago to discuss your upcoming CCW bags (thank you for meeting with me).
    Arriving home, I checked your web site, and found this page.
    I am amazed to read your perspective that you see the leadership pyramid:
    “… standing on it’s head, or point …”.
    In my earlier days as a (in the trenches) turnaround consultant, I frequently drew a leadership chart with me at the bottom point like you described. I would tell my people:
    “See, you (including my department managers) are up there above me, and if there is anything you can’t handle during the 6-12 month turnaround, just ’tilt’ and let the excessive burden slide down. I’ll be there at the bottom to catch it so you don’t buckle under the load”.

I’ve heard that beside every great man is a great woman, and as congratulated above by Barbara, I am sure that Margery is that great woman. I was not so fortunate for many years, but as I celebrate 4 years with a new “faithful believing partner (wife)”, you both have inspired me to renew “The American Dream”.

Thank you for all you do for your people, America, and the world!

7. sentimancho says:

My spouse and I stumbled over here from a different web page and thought I might as well check things out. I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to exploring your web page repeatedly.